West Meck's ‘restricted movement' rule concerns parents – WSOC TV
Sarah Richards
Updated on April 03, 2026
CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Parents are concerned about a security measure at West Mecklenburg High School called restricted movement that has been in place throughout the year.
Among the restrictions are that students can't leave the school or go to the bathroom without an officer escort.
Security also keeps a close eye on those coming inside West Mecklenburg.
Reporter Tina Terry spoke to police and district officials to find out what's behind the move.
Leaders said it is all about safety and making sure students are where they should be at all times.
"The reason why we are on restricted movement is because people like to skip (school)," student Gabriel Lee said.
District leaders said the principal made the changes because some students would go to the restroom and never come back to class. They also said it helps prevent altercations in the hallways.
There have been several dozen calls for police to respond to the school since the start of the year, including five reports in which teenagers said they'd been jumped or assaulted while walking to class and even assaulted in the gym.
"I think it's sad that the behavior of a few is impacting everyone," the Rev. Nicholas Cosey, a parent, said.
Principal Casey Jones encouraged parents to talk to him if they have concerns.
Several violent incidents occurred on Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools campuses last week.
Three teens robbed a classmate with a BB gun inside the halls of a Mint Hill high school on Nov. 16, police said.
The following day, a middle school student was accused of pulling a knife on another student during class at McClintock Middle School.
On Thursday, a student was arrested after a fight broke out at Harding University High School.
Read more top trending stories on wsoctv.com:
WSOC