“I don’t know much” – Cale Makar denies involvement in alleged assault interviewed in Hockey Canada investigation
Matthew Sanders
Updated on March 31, 2026
On Tuesday, Colorado Avalanche defenceman Cale Makar told the reporters that he has been in contact with the National Hockey League as part of the League’s investigation into the 2018 sexual assault allegations against Hockey Canada, the Canadian Hockey League, and 8 of its players.
Cale Makar also stated that he wasn’t part of the group of those 8 players against whom the allegations were launched. He further noted that he doesn’t know much about the alleged events, “I don’t know how much I’m able to talk about it, because I think it’s an ongoing investigation, but I did receive an email and obviously I’ll be very cooperative in the investigation,” Makar told reporters during media availability ahead of the Stanley Cup Final. “Whatever they need from me, I’ll be very cooperative.”
Cale Makar announces he wasn’t involved in any assault allegations from 2018 incident
Cale Makar got caught up in these allegations as earlier he was part of the 2017-18 Canadian World Junior Team that was cited in a lawsuit filled in April. The incident revolves around a woman who claimed that she was sexually assaulted by 8 CHL players including a few members of that year’s junior team at a Hockey Canada Foundation Gala in London.
The 8 players’ names were not disclosed and remained as John Does 1-8 in the statement of the claim, as she didn’t reveal the player’s identity in order to keep her identity private. The allegations in the lawsuit were settled by Hockey Canada last month but are yet to hear in a court of law. Similarly, the terms of the settlement were not discussed.
Just spoke with Cale Makar’s agent Brian Bartlett who confirmed that Makar was not involved in the alleged sexual assault involving the 2018 Canadian World Junior team and that he cooperated in the investigation.
— Ken Campbell (@Ken_Campbell27) May 28, 2022
Also Read| “Seems crazy to me” – Lightning forward Pat Maroon inches towards this accomplishment in Stanley Cup
On Tuesday, Makar reported to the reporters about the ongoing situation, as noted on sportsnet.ca. The case will be in the spotlight on Monday in Ottawa as the Standing Committee on Canadian Heritage prepares to question 4 members of Hockey Canada and Hockey Canada Foundation about their actions regarding the allegations and the settlements.
I’m only gonna say this once. Cale Makar wasn’t involved in the alleged sexual assault involving the World Juniors team. He was in the NCAA not the CHL. Just because he is Canadian does not mean he played in the CHL. Stop saying he was involved when it was made clear he wasn’t.
— z – alex’s #1 fan (@sweetybee77) May 29, 2022