N
Icon Celebrity Monitor

Dennis Intermediate School will remain closed through Monday, all other schools will be open

Author

Christopher Duran

Updated on April 05, 2026

A teenager took his own life Thursday morning after a brief shootout with police at an intermediate school.

RICHMOND, Ind. (WTHR) - Dennis Intermediate School will remain closed through Monday after a shooting incident occurred on Thursday morning.

Dennis will not be open for students Fri Dec 14 & Mon Dec 17. All other RCS schools will be open. The event today at Dennis was an isolated incident. We will have extra law enforcement presence at all schools. If you plan to keep your children home tomorrow, we understand.

— WeRrichmond (@wearrrichmond) December 13, 2018

State police identified the suspect in the Richmond school shooting incident as a 14-year-old male.

Police say the suspect was not a student at the school.

Authorities also said that the teen attempted to get into the school but because it was on lockdown he couldn't get in, so he shot out a window.

That teen took his own life after a brief shootout with police at the intermediate school.

All Richmond schools were put on lockdown around 8:30 a.m. Police confronted the suspect as he approached Dennis Intermediate School in Richmond. Officers and the suspect wound up exchanging gunfire. A witness said the shootout happened first outside, then inside the school building.

"Local police had received information and they reacted on that very swiftly, and I think because of their swift reaction and also the swift reaction at the school that no student injuries happened," Indiana State Police Sgt. John Bowling told reporters. He didn't explain what that information was.

Eventually, the teen took his own life, according to police. He has not yet been identified.

“The incident at Dennis Intermediate School earlier today is frightening, and my prayers and thoughts are with the students and their families, teachers and staff," State Sen. Jeff Raatz, R-Richmond, said in a statement. "I am pleased with the work of our law enforcement, who selflessly stepped in to protect our community. My office will continue to monitor the issue as it unfolds."

No students, staff or officers were hurt.

Students at Dennis were bussed to Richmond High School where parents can pick them up. Afternoon preschool classes were canceled. Otherwise, classes are operating as normal.

"Earlier this morning, I directed the Indiana State Police to work with all local responders at the shooting at Dennis Intermediate School," Gov. Eric Holcomb said in a statement at 10:45 a.m. "We will continue to work with the school and Superintendent Jennifer McCormick to do everything possible to assist the community and support all those impacted by this terrible unfolding situation."

"Today a shooting at an Indiana school occurred," State Superintendent Dr. Jennifer McCormick said in a separate statement. "I am in contact with the Indiana Department of Homeland Security, the Indiana State Police, and Governor Holcomb and actively monitoring the situation. We have full confidence in Richmond Community Schools’ Superintendent Todd Terrill and his team, law enforcement, and first responders. The Department stands ready to provide guidance and support, and we will provide further statements as information unfolds."

Here is scene video of increased police presence near the school courtesy of viewer Doug Philbeck.

This story will continue to be updated as more information becomes available.